This recipe for braised chicken drumsticks is a “savory” entry in our March Recipe Madness Contest, created and submitted by Hidemi Walsh. To qualify, Hidemi uses 8 ingredients or less, including Almond Plus Protein AlmondMilk by So Delicious.
For more details about the recipe contest, see this post: https://www.godairyfree.org/news/march-recipe-madness-contest
Special Diet Notes & Options: Asian Braised Chicken Drumsticks
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, peanut-free, and tree nut-free.
For gluten-free braised chicken drumsticks, use wheat-free tamari in place of the soy sauce. This substitute is seamless.
- 10 chicken drumsticks (about 4 pounds)
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ cup soy sauce (see above for gluten-free option)
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cup So Delicious Dairy Free Unsweetened Almond Plus AlmondMilk
- Rinse chicken drumsticks under cold running water and pat to dry with paper towel.
- In a large pot, put all ingredients except almond plus. Place a small lid directly on the food (Otoshibuta), then cover with a lid for the pot, heat over medium heat and cook for about 15 minutes or until the liquid is almost gone.
- Then stir in almond plus, reduce heat to medium-low heat and simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and let stand with lid for 5 minutes. (the taste soaks into the chickens well)
- Place 2 drumsticks on each serving plate with cooked whole grain rice with wild rice as a garnish (optional).