My first breakfast of the new year is this basic homemade granola over unsweetened dairy-free yogurt with fresh fruit. I was craving some nourishing energy to help me plan for the month ahead, because big things are happening. For starters, my new cookbook Eat Dairy Free is officially launching next week, and I have a bunch of helpful support info to share with you this week. Also, I’m returning as the Food Editor for Allergic Living magazine, and my duties are about to kick into high gear.
I think everyone needs a basic homemade granola recipe.
It’s so incredibly easy to make, and kicks the pants off store-bought granola. And it’s worth noting that many brands of granola do contain dairy. Some include milk powder, whey powder, butter, or other dairy-based ingredients.
This recipe is naturally dairy-free, and can be gluten-free, nut-free, vegan, and allergy-friendly, if you please.
Plus, you can customize this homemade granola with whatever add-ins your craving, or have on hand.
But if you’re adding dried fruit or chocolate chips, toss it in just as the granola comes out of the oven.
Special Diet Notes: Basic Homemade Granola
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, optionally nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, optionally vegan, vegetarian, and optionally top food allergy-friendly.
- 4 cups rolled oats (certified gluten free, if needed)
- 1½ cups sliced almonds (sub sunflower or pumpkin seeds for nut free)
- ½ cup packed brown sugar or coconut sugar (for less sweet)
- ¼ cup oil (melted if using coconut oil)
- ¼ cup honey (sub agave nectar or maple syrup for strictly vegan)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Preheat your oven to 300ºF and line a large rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Put the oats, almonds, and sugar in a large bowl and stir to combine.
- Put the oil, honey, vanilla, cinnamon, and salt in a small bowl, and whisk to combine.
- Pour the wet mixture over the oat mixture and stir until thoroughly combined.
- Spread the granola in a single layer on your prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 15 minutes and stir. Bake for 15 more minutes, and stir. Bake for 10 minutes, or until lightly golden.
- Let cool completely. It will crisp up as it cools.
- Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 1 week, or freeze to enjoy later.