We have a lot of smoothie recipes here on Go Dairy Free, which helps me mix up my morning routine. This dairy-free blackberry chia smoothie is one that I decided to revisit since sweet blackberries are beginning to arrive. It’s from the book 40 Days of Green Smoothies by Becky Striepe.
This Blackberry Chia Smoothie is Simple, Healthy, and Delicious
We originally shared this blackberry chia smoothie recipe when Becky’s book launched, but I’ve made a few updates and have quick answers to some recipe FAQs.
- Not a Fan of Blackberry Seeds? Chia seeds blend nicely into smoothies, but blackberry seeds are tiny and hard. If you don’t like them in smoothies, pre-blend the blackberries with the coconut milk and strain the liquid through a fine mesh sieve into a glass measuring cup. Rinse your blender to remove any residual seeds before adding the blackberry coconut milk and remaining ingredients.
- Need Coconut-Free? You can substitute your favorite dairy-free milk beverage for both the lite coconut milk and water. So you would use 3/4 to 1 cup dairy-free milk beverage. We like unsweetened plain or vanilla almond milk or oat milk in this blackberry chia smoothie recipe, but most types work well.
- Not Sweet Enough? If your blackberries are still too tart or your banana isn’t ripe enough, this blackberry chia smoothie might need a flavor boost. To keep it low in added sugars, I often add just a drop or two of stevia liquid. Alternatively, you can drizzle in a little honey or agave nectar.
- How Much Calcium Does this Smoothie Have? The chia seeds alone add roughly 150 milligrams of natural dairy-free calcium! The produce bumps it up a little more. But if you’re looking for a bigger dose, try the coconut-free option above and choose a fortified dairy-free milk beverage.
Special Diet Notes: Blackberry Chia Smoothie
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, grain-free, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, vegan, plant-based, vegetarian, top food allergy-friendly, paleo-friendly, and Whole30-approved.
- Place all ingredients in your blender and puree until smooth, starting with ¼ cup water.
- If needed, blend in additional water.
- Pour into a tall glass and enjoy!