Years ago, we held a Snackable Recipe Contest in honor of a free ebook that we launched in partnership with So Delicious. This blueberry cookie butter smoothie was a submission in that contest. It was created by Terri Gilson, and uses a creative blend of ingredients that pair the natural sweetness of blueberries and bananas with the rich depth of molasses cookies.
Blueberry Cookie Butter Smoothie made Dairy-Free and Gluten-Free
We’ve recently updated this post, and have some additional tips and notes or the recipe.
- Dairy-Free Butter Flavor – Most imitation butter extracts or flavorings actually contain no butter nor any dairy for that matter. Watkins even makes a butter vanilla flavor. How fun is that? Just be sure to avoid the natural extracts made with real butter. You can omit the butter flavor if you can’t find it, but it will change the vibe of this smoothie. (Though it will still be tasty!) You might try using a tablespoon or two of dairy-free buttery spread instead, which will also add richness. We haven’t tried this, but just an idea if you’re feeling adventurous!
- Molasses – We aren’t sure what type of molasses Terri uses, but we like blackstrap molasses for the extra dose of calcium and other minerals. My favorite brand is Plantation for both smooth taste, sweetness, and calcium.
- Protein – For more body and protein, use a couple tablespoons of your favorite dairy-free protein powder. For more richness, add a couple tablespoons of nut butter. We like cashew, almond, or peanut butter in this blend, or sunflower seed butter for nut-free.
Special Diet Notes: Blueberry Cookie Butter Smoothie
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, grain-free, peanut-free, soy-free, vegan, plant-based, and vegetarian. Just be sure to choose the dairy-free yogurt, milk beverage, and flavoring/extract that suit your dietary needs.
- 2 cups frozen blueberries
- 1 cup vanilla dairy-free yogurt alternative
- 1 cup vanilla oat milk or almond milk
- 1 ripe banana
- 4 teaspoons molasses
- 2 teaspoons dairy-free butter flavoring (see post above)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Put the blueberries, yogurt alternative, milk beverage, banana, molasses, butter flavor, vanilla, ginger, and cinnamon in your blender and puree until smooth.
- Divide the smoothie between four glasses to serve.