It’s hard to believe that a popular brunch dish with a foundation of milk and eggs can actually be vegan. But according to the new cookbook, Kinda Vegan, these vegan crepes are just as delicious and easy, once you master the art of the flip.
Lazy Day Crepes with Homemade “Nutella” for Those Kinda Vegan Days
Kinda Vegan includes 200 “you won’t believe it’s vegan” easy recipes. The focus is on familiar comfort food that anyone can make, even if they’re new to veganism, or just dabbling. Some favorites include the blueberry muffins, Mediterranean falafels, Chinese fried rice, chocolate mocha ice cream, and these “lazy” vegan crepes.
The publisher shared these egg-free, dairy-free and vegan crepes with us as a sample recipe from Kinda Vegan. And it includes a bonus! The crepes are filled with Purely Vegan Chocolate Hazelnut Spread, another recipe in this cookbook. So they are sharing that recipe with us too! It’s a simple, indulgent dairy-free alternative to Nutella.
Special Diet Notes: Vegan Crepes with Chocolate Hazelnut Spread
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, peanut-free, soy-free, vegan, and vegetarian.
For nut-free vegan crepes, use a nut-free milk beverage in place of the almond milk. Also, use your favorite nut-free “butter” or allergy-friendly cream cheese alternative in place of the hazelnut spread.
- 2 cups shelled hazelnuts
- 1 cup plain unsweetened almond milk beverage
- 3 tablespoons non-GMO canola oil (can sub another neutral-tasting oil)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup powdered sugar, or to taste
- 1⁄2 cup dark cocoa powder (Hershey’s brand works great)
- 1 cup whole-wheat flour
- 3⁄4 cup plain unsweetened almond milk
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup vegan margarine, melted, plus additional for greasing
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup Purely Vegan Chocolate Hazelnut Spread
- 2 cups hulled, sliced fresh strawberries
- Process hazelnuts until they are a fine meal or until mixture begins to stick to the side of the food processor and won’t mix any longer. This may take a few minutes. Be careful not to overheat your processor!
- Add milk, oil, and vanilla, and blend until combined.
- Add sugar and cocoa. You can add more sugar depending on your tastes! Keep blending until smooth. Store for up to 5 days in a tightly sealed container in the refrigerator.
- Whisk all ingredients except chocolate hazelnut spread and strawberries together in a large bowl, and refrigerate for an hour. Remove and mix again.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat for approximately 1 minute before starting to cook. Lightly grease the skillet with vegan margarine. Swirl approximately 1⁄4 cup of batter into the pan so that all edges are covered. Turn heat to medium-high and cook for 1 minute. Use a spatula to flip. Cook the other side for 1 minute. Crepes will be finished when very lightly browned. Repeat with remaining batter.
- Spread each crepe with Purely Vegan Chocolate Hazelnut Spread, top with strawberries, and fold it up! Serve immediately.
Excerpted from Kinda Vegan: 200 Easy and Delicious Recipes for Meatless Meals (When You Want Them) Copyright © 2018 Adams Media, a division of Simon and Schuster. Used by permission of the publisher. All rights reserved. Photographs by James Stefiuk.