This creamy orange & lemon mousse recipe comes from the print and online magazine, Foods Matter. The recipe is wheat, gluten, dairy & egg free naturally; but it can also be corn, nightshade and soy free. It can be made with lemon juice, orange juice or a mixture of the two. Use fortified milk alternative for a higher calcium option.
Special Diet Notes: Orange & Lemon Mousse
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, peanut-free, soy-free, vegan, and vegetarian. Optionally nut-free.
- 1½ oz corn starch or potato flour
- 1¾ cup dairy-free milk beverage
- grated rind and juice of 2 lemons or 2 small oranges
- 1-2 tbsp maple syrup - you could also use rice or agave syrup or a light brown cane sugar
- 4 clementines, peeled and with all pith removed
- In a small pan mix the soya or rice milk into the corn starch or potato flour to make a smooth paste.
- Add the orange or lemon rind and juice and heat gently over a low heat, stirring continually until it thickens.
- Sweeten to taste with the maple syrup or other sweetener and allow to cool somewhat.
- Arrange half of the clementine segments in the bottom of four glasses.
- Pour the mixture over the top and when it is a little more set, arrange the remaining clementines in a pattern over the top.
- Chill to serve.