This recipe for eat dirt vegan protein shakes received an Honorable Mention (10 VIP Free Product Coupons!) as the Best Smoothie entry in the The Spring Fling Dairy-Free Recipe Contest, hosted here on Go Dairy Free, and sponsored by So Delicious Dairy Free.
Created by Sarah of A Whisk and Two Wands, these vegan protein shakes really do look the part with their “dirty” topping, but are tasty, chocolaty and fun to eat!
We admit to cheating on the sweet side, using dark chocolate rather than cacao nibs in the shake and adding a few drops of vanilla stevia since we opted to make it on the icy side, but we are slight sugar fiends in this test kitchen.
Sarah says, “While we created this recipe to post for Earth Day it is a great recipe for Spring. Spring is when we plant our gardens and flower boxes and watch everything sprout and grow!”
Special Diet Notes: Eat Dirt Chocolate Vegan Protein Shakes
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, vegan, vegetarian and generally food allergy-friendly!
- 2 tablespoons raw hulled hemp seeds
- 1 tablespoons cacao powder
- 1 tablespoon sweet cacao nibs, or chopped chocolate
- 2-4 spinach leaves
- 1 cup So Delicious Dairy Free Unsweetened Almond Plus Protein Almond Milk
- ½ cup fresh or frozen raspberries, frozen berries will make it thicker
- 1-2 big handfuls of spinach, or greens of choice
- 1 scoop chocolate protein powder (Sarah used Vega Choc-A-Lot Protein Smoothie for kids, Vega One Chocolate for herself)*
- 1 tablespoon cacao nibs (or dairy-free chocolate chips!)
- 1 cup ice
- Mix topping ingredients together and set aside.
- Blend shake ingredients together in a Vitamix, or high-speed blender, until smooth.
- Pour into glass, top with topping mixture, and place spinach leaves in top. Enjoy!
Pingback: Superfood Earth Day Pudding « Vegan Baking Up High
Pingback: 22 Sustainable Recipes for Earth Day and Every Day
Never has the word ‘dirt’ sounded or looked so appealing! This is PERFECT for the heatwave today- Thanks for sharing Sarah’s recipe!
Pingback: Unlock Bone Health: 6 Dairy-Free Diet Keys + 20 Recipes