This easy apple cinnamon oatmeal is a quick every day breakfast that can be customized with whatever add-ins you like! Here are some ideas from the recipe creator, Sarah Caron of Cucina Bella:
- raisins – add 2 tbsp-1/4 cup when oatmeal is added
- pears – substitute a pear for the apple
- strawberries – add to the water mixture or substitute for the apple
- blueberries – same as strawberries
- almonds – add 2 tbsp when oatmeal is added
Special Diet Notes: Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, plant-based, vegan, and vegetarian.
- 1 cup apple cider
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 medium apple, peeled, cored and cubed
- 1 cup quick cooking oatmeal (use certified gluten-free oats for gluten-free)
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- Sweetener to taste, optional (i.e. coconut sugar, stevia, maple syrup)
- In a small saucepan, combine the apple cider, water, lemon juice and apple and bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Add oatmeal, cinnamon and salt and stir together. Reduce heat to medium and cook for about 2 minutes, until thickened.
- Remove from heat and let sit for 3-5 minutes before serving.
- Give it a taste test, and if desired, stir in your favorite sweetener to taste.