Special Diet Notes: Hemp No-Meat-Loaf (Vegetarian Meatloaf)
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, optionally egg-free, gluten-free, grain-free, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, optionally vegan / plant-based, and vegetarian.
Hemp No-Meat Loaf
Another delicious, healthy recipe from the purveyors of all things delicious and hemp, Manitoba Harvest. This Hemp No Meat Loaf is a great vegetarian recipe that goes well with a mixed green salad and served with Hemp Seed Oil vinaigrette.
Author: Manitoba Harvest
Serves: 1 loaf
- 1-1/2 cups long-grain brown rice
- 3 cups water
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 white onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 egg (or 1 egg replacer)
- ½ cup hemp seed oil
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1-1/2 cups shelled hemp seeds (Hemp Hearts)
- 2 tablespoons dried basil
- ½ cup organic ketchup
- Fresh parsley sprigs, optional for garnish
- Cook the rice with the 3 cups of water, and set aside.
- Preheat your oven to 325ºF, and grease a 4x8-inch loaf pan.
- In a blender, combine the red pepper, onion, garlic, egg or egg replacer, hemp seed oil, black pepper, and salt. Blend on high until mostly smooth, but still slightly chunky.
- In a bowl, combine the shelled hemp seed, basil, rice, and the blender mixture.
- Put into the loaf pan and cover with the ketchup.
- Bake for 1 hour or until cooked through.
- Garnich with parsley, if desired.
I made this delicious recipe tonight. I had just minor modifications. As I had no bell pepper, I added a small quantity of jalapeno pepper. As I had no basil, I used 1 T. of oregano and 1 T of thyme. I am from Memphis, so I used BBQ sauce in lieu of catsup. Family loved it.
I’m so glad you all enjoyed it Barb! Thanks for sharing your modifications.
Wonderful recipe! However, the hemp oil should be replaced with another oil that is suitable for heating. Hemp oil must not be heated to avoiding losing its delicate nutrients and converting the EFA’s to unhealthy transfats. Hemp hearts and seeds are more resilient because of their casings.