This recipe for German Chocolate Frozen Bananas was a Sweet entry in the BIG Snackable Recipe Contest (over $3500 in cash prizes available!) submitted by Valerie.
The contest is a celebration of our new FREE Snackable eBook with delicious, original Sweet, Savory and Sippable Dairy-Free Recipes. Download and enjoy it now via PDF, iTunes, Kindle, Kobo or Google Play: www.godairyfree.org/snackable-ebook
Technically, Valerie submitted this recipe with a simpler “chocolate frozen bananas” title, but the pecan, coconut and chocolate vibe reminded me of my mother’s favorite cake, German chocolate.
Special Diet Notes: German Chocolate Frozen Bananas
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, grain-free, peanut-free, optionally soy-free, vegan / plant-based, and vegetarian. Just be sure to pick chocolate that is safe for your dietary needs. We like Pascha and Enjoy Life for options that are free of top allergens (including dairy and soy).
For nut-free chocolate frozen bananas, lose the “German chocolate” theme and just use chocolate and coconut for the coating, or try something new like hemp seeds!
- 1 cup + ½ cup dairy-free semi-sweet chocolate chips, divided
- ¼ cup So Delicious Dairy Free Vanilla Coconut Milk Beverage
- ½ cup chopped pecans
- ½ cup shredded toasted coconut
- 1 teaspoon olive oil, divided
- Two pinches salt
- 2 bananas
- Preheat your oven to 350ºF.
- Place 1 cup of the chocolate chips in a metal bowl.
- Place the milk beverage in a saucepan and heat over medium-high heat. Just before it begins to boil, remove it from the heat. Pour the hot milk beverage over the chocolate. Stir until fully melted and smooth. Let it cool to room temperature, stirring often.
- While the chocolate cools, place the pecans and coconut on separate baking pans and drizzle each with about ½ teaspoon oil and season each with a generous pinch of salt. Toss to evenly coat. Toast for about 3 to 5 minutes, or until just lightly golden and fragrant - do not overcook!
- Place the toasted pecans, coconut, and remaining ½ cup chocolate chips in three separate shallow dishes.
- Peel and cut the bananas in half and skewer the cut base of each one. Dip each banana in the melted chocolate ganache and place on a baking pan lined with parchment.
- Sprinkle or roll each dipped banana half in the toasted pecans, toasted coconut and/or chocolate chips.
- Place the pan in the freezer and chill for 1 hour or until the bananas are completely frozen.