Did you know there is a National Corn Fritter Day? Seriously, and it is today. And believe it or not, we actually have a recipe for grilled vegan corn fritters that was in dire need of an update and relocation to our recipe section. This wonderful dish was shared with us by the Spork Sisters!
Grilled Vegan Corn Fritters with Chipotle Cream – Grab a Spork!
When Heather emailed me and said she was one of the Spork Sisters, she definitely caught my attention. She and her sister Jenny run Spork Foods, a Los Angeles-based gourmet vegan food company that offers cooking classes, food consultation, catering, and more. They create innovative plant-based cuisine with an emphasis on organic, local, and seasonal ingredients. And they have a cookbook available called Spork-Fed.
I had the chance to sample some of their food at an event many years ago, and it was fantastic. So I was more than happy to post these wonderful vegan corn fritters.
The recipe is paired with a simple chipotle mayo and served on a bed of greens for presentation and a little added nutrition. This dish makes a wonderful appetizer or small plate, but it can also stand in as a light lunch.
Vegan Corn Fritters photo by O.K. Kijan.
Special Diet Notes: Grilled Vegan Corn Fritters
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, nut-free, peanut-free, optionally soy-free, vegan, and vegetarian.
For gluten-free grilled vegan corn fritters, substitute a 1:1 gluten-free flour blend for the flour. The fritters might be a touch more fragile, but delicious nonetheless.
- ½ cup organic vegan mayo (they use Veganaise)
- 2 teaspoons agave nectar
- ¼ teaspoon chipotle powder
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup plain dairy-free milk beverage
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup organic yellow cornmeal (Arrowhead Mills preferred)
- ½ cup organic spelt flour (can sub all-purpose flour or wheat flour)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons egg replacer (Ener-g brand used dry)
- 1 teaspoon + ⅛ teaspoon sea salt, divided
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon chipotle powder
- ¼ teaspoon + ⅛ teaspoon black pepper, divided
- ⅛ teaspoon baking soda
- 1½ tablespoons + ⅓ cup neutral-tasting oil, divided (they use safflower oil or refined coconut oil)
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon + ½ teaspoon lemon juice, divided (can sub lime juice)
- 1 cob organic corn, kernels sliced from cob
- ¼ teaspoon dried dill
- ½ teaspoon agave
- 2 cups packed baby arugula, spinach, or other greens, for serving
- To make the chipotle cream, whisk together all ingredients in a small bowl.
- To make the vegan corn fritters, whisk together the milk beverage and apple cider vinegar in a small bowl. Let sit while you prepare the dry ingredients.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the cornmeal, flours, baking powder, egg replacer, 1 teaspoon sea salt, garlic powder, chipotle powder, ¼ teaspoon black pepper, and baking soda.
- Slowly whisk in the milk beverage mixture, 1 tablespoon oil, maple syrup, and 1 tablespoon lemon juice until combined.
- Heat a skillet and add ½ tablespoon oil and the corn. Add the dill, remaining ⅛ teaspoon sea salt, remaining ⅛ teaspoon black pepper, agave, and remaining ½ teaspoon lemon juice. Sauté until the corn is golden brown.
- Fold the corn kernels into the batter mixture and heat a skilled to a medium high heat. Add the remaining ⅓ cup oil* and drop the batter by the tablespoon into the pan. Cook for approximately 3 to 5 minutes on each side, or until golden.
- Serve the fritters over a bed of greens with the Chipotle Cream.