Sweet potato casserole is notoriously rich with butter and cream. But this lighter version uses the dairy-free magic of real coconut milk and apple butter. The coconut milk blends in seamlessly for a creamy finish that lets the seasonal flavors shine. No, they won’t taste the coconut! The apple butter adds richness, sweetness, and an extra dose of fall flavor.
This wholesome apple sweet potato casserole recipe with photo was shared with us by Musselman’s.
Special Diet Notes & Options: Sweet Potato Casserole
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, gluten-free, peanut-free, soy-free, and vegetarian. If you confuse eggs with dairy, you’re not alone. See this post: Are Eggs Dairy? Concerned about coconut? See this post: Are coconut products a concern for tree nut allergies?
For a nut-free, dairy-free apple sweet potato casserole, simply omit the optional pecans.
For an egg-free apple sweet potato casserole, I recommend swapping in aquafaba for the eggs. It lends the most structure. For a strictly vegan version, you’ll want to use maple syrup in place of the honey, too.
- 2 pounds (3 large) sweet potatoes, peeled, cubed
- ¾ cup apple butter (such as Musselman’s)
- 2 eggs (see post above for egg-free)
- ¼ cup full-fat canned coconut milk or coconut cream
- ¼ cup honey
- ¼ cup + 2 tablespoons melted dairy-free buttery spread, divided
- ⅓ cup brown sugar or coconut sugar
- ½ cup pecans, chopped, optional (omit for nut-free)
- Place the potatoes in a medium saucepan. Add about 1 inch of water. Cover and cook for 10 to 15 minutes or until tender.
- Remove the pan from the heat, drain the sweet potatoes, then return the potatoes to pan to help excess moisture evaporate.
- Preheat your oven to 350°F and grease a 11/2-quart casserole dish.
- Add the apple butter, eggs, coconut milk or cream, honey and ¼ cup buttery spread to a large mixing bowl, and mix to combine. Add the cooked sweet potatoes and mix until mashed.
- Spoon the sweet potato mixture into your prepared casserole dish.
- In a small bowl, stir the brown sugar, pecans (if using) and remaining 2 tablespoons buttery spread together until all of the ingredients are evenly distributed. Sprinkle evenly over the sweet potatoes.
- Bake for 20 to 30 minutes or until hot and bubbly.
More Dairy-Free, Vegetarian Casseroles
Mini Maple French Toast Casseroles (vegan, gluten-free & allergy-friendly options)
Mushroom Pasta Bake with White Wine Cream Sauce (vegan, gluten-free optional & nut-free)
Vegan “Chicken” Poppy Seed Casserole (vegan)
How can I make this without eggs?
Emily, see the post! I try to include a “Special Diet” notes section with each recipe in the post.