No need to spend a ton of money on a jar of nut butter when you can make homemade nut butter! It’s so much affordable and there’s no need to worry about sneaky sugar. It’s also a lot of fun because you get to customize it to your taste! Cinnamon, cocoa powder, and pumpkin spice make for very delicious sweet nut butters. You can use any mix of nuts and/or seeds you like best to make into your creamy homemade nut butter. Cashew and coconut is a favorite here!
Special Diet Notes: Homemade Nut Butter
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free, egg-free, gluten-free, optionally nut-free, optionally peanut-free, soy-free, vegan, plant-based, and vegetarian.
- Shelled nuts or seeds (your choice of type; ¼ cup nuts makes about 2 tablespoons nut butter)
- Oil, as needed (optional)
- Sea salt, to taste*
- Spread the nuts out on a baking sheet and roast at 350ºF for about 15 minutes. Stir the nuts occasionally to ensure even roasting.
- Allow the nuts to cool for at least 10 minutes, then grind them in a spice grinder or food processor until the oils begin to release and the nuts form a paste. If it is too thick, you can add a touch of oil for a smoother consistency.
- At the end of the process mix in sea salt to taste and store the nut butter in clean airtight glass jars. Keep any opened jars refrigerated.