If you’re looking for a rich, banana-free, low-sugar, low-carbohydrate blend, then look no further than this almond butter green smoothie bowl. It’s the dairy-free version of an Atkins approved breakfast, that happens to be paleo-friendly and vegan. It’s also suitable for most keto diets too!
Almond Butter Green Smoothie Bowl that’s Low Carb and Dairy-Free
Keto, paleo, and plant-based seem to be big buzz words as we gain steam in the new year. And this almond butter green smoothie bowl covers all of those bases. It’s rich in plant-based fats, is low in sugar, has a nice little dose of dairy-free protein, and is high in fiber, but low in other types of carbohydrates. But you will want to pick the yogurt and protein powder that work best for your needs.
Plant-based yogurt alternatives are notoriously runny. And thick version often contain too many strange ingredients. Which is why I like Coyo for recipes like this. It’s a rich coconut cream-based option. But it’s so thick, that I typically thin it a little with unsweetened dairy-free milk beverage before using it in recipes. You can see our post on The 10 Best Dairy-Free Yogurt Brands for more recommendations.
Plant-Based Protein Powder
There really is no shortage of dairy-free protein powders on the market. Personally, I like very simple brands with just one ingredient. In smoothies and smoothie bowls, I like to use a plain old, very fine, pea protein powder. It thickens like a dream and doesn’t add too much flavor as long as you keep the amount modest. But there are many protein powder blends, sweetened and flavored options, and ones with functional ingredients, like enzymes and probiotics. See our Complete Guide to Dairy-Free Protein Powders for more guidance.
This almond butter green smoothie bowl recipe with photo was shared with us by Atkins.com.
Special Diet Notes: Almond Butter Green Smoothie Bowl
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, grain-free, optionally nut-free, optionally peanut-free, soy-free, vegan, vegetarian, paleo, and keto-friendly.
- 1 cup plain dairy-free "Greek Style" yogurt (see the Post above)
- 8 ounces spinach or kale
- ⅓ cup plain protein powder
- ¼ cup water or unsweetened dairy-free milk beverage
- ¼ cup almond butter, peanut butter, or sunflower seed butter (for nut-free)
- ½ cup fresh or frozen strawberries
- 2 tablespoons chopped almonds or sunflower seeds
- 2 tablespoons ground flaxseed
- Put the dairy-free yogurt, greens, protein powder, blend protein powder, yogurt, water or milk beverage, and nut or seed butter your blender. Blend until smooth and creamy.
- Divide the smoothie between two bowls.
- Sprinkle ¼ cup strawberries, 1 tablespoon almonds or sunflower seeds, and 1 tablespoon flaxseed over each smoothie bowl.
Key Pantry Supplies: Almond Butter Green Smoothie Bowl