Nearly ten years ago, the wonderful Susan of Fat Free Vegan shared a delightful recipe with us for orange spice vegan pancakes. We featured it in an Easter Brunch collection in our news, but today I’m giving it a better home in our recipe section.
Special Diet Notes: Orange Spice Vegan Pancakes
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, vegan, plant-based, and vegetarian.
- 1 cup unbleached flour
- 1¼ cups whole wheat flour (I used white whole wheat; ww pastry flour is another good option)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- ⅛ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 pinch ground cloves
- 1½ cups orange juice, plus additional as needed
- ¼ cup golden raisins (optional)
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- Spray a non-stick frying pan or griddle lightly with oil, and begin heating it on medium-high. Meanwhile, whisk the flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves together in a mixing bowl.
- Add the juice, raisins (if using), and zest, and stir until just combined. A few lumps are okay. If the batter becomes too thick to pour, whisk in a little more orange juice, as needed.
- When the skillet is hot, drop the batter by quarter-cupfuls and cook until the tops are beginning to bubble. Turn and cook a couple more minutes until the underside is golden and the inside is cooked. Repeat until all of the batter is used up.
- Serve immediately. Leftovers can be flash frozen and reheated in the toaster for a quick weekday breakfast.
More Maple-Worthy Recipes for Vegan Pancakes
Homestyle Vegan Pancakes with Blueberry Butter (vegan, nut-free & soy-free)
German Chocolate Pancakes with Coconut Pecan Maple Syrup (vegan & optionally soy-free)
Vegan Chocolate Chip Pancakes with Strawberries (vegan, nut-free & soy-free)