This plant-based vegetable quinoa is loaded with vitamins, minerals, heart healthy oils, and natural disease fighters. Oh yes, and it’s tasty too! It’s a recipe from The Complete Idiot’s Guide to Vegan Living, by Ray Sammartano and Beverly Lynn Bennett, which we featured in a decade past. Today, we’re giving this post an update with more details, nutrition facts, and options.
Vegetable Quinoa Medley makes Plant-Based Meals Easy
On its own, quinoa is touted as a complete plant-based protein, so you could easily enjoy a couple servings of this vegetable quinoa as a light meal. But you can also enjoy it as a side – it pairs well with most proteins – or use it as a bowl base for lunch.
Some protein additions that we like include black beans, baked tofu cubes, or chopped cooked chicken. As for the vegetables, don’t hesitate to mix things up. Green beans, peas, and carrots are also delicious in this dairy-free vegetable quinoa.
Special Diet Notes: Vegetable Quinoa Medley
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, vegan, plant-based, and vegetarian.
- 6 cups water
- 3 cups quinoa, well rinsed
- ½ cup pumpkin seeds
- 1 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1 cup diced orange or green bell pepper
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 cups corn kernels
- 2 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 cup sliced green onions
- ½ cup sliced black olives
- ¼ cup freshly minced parsley
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- In a saucepan, bring the water to a boil. Add the quinoa, cover, reduce the heat to very low, and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until tender. Drain and place the cooked quinoa back in the pan, cover and let it sit, of the heat, while you cook the other ingredients.
- Heat ½ tablespoon of the oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the seeds, and sauté for 3 minutes, or until toasted. Remove the pumpkin seeds to a bowl.
- Add the bell peppers to your skillet and sauté for 3 minutes. Add the corn and garlic, and sauté for 3 minutes. Add the green onions and sauté for 1 minute.
- Fluff the quinoa with a form, and transfer it to a large serving bowl. Add the toasted seeds, sautéed vegetables, remining 3½ tablespoons olive oil, olives, parsley, lemon juice, salt, and pepper, and toss to evenly combine.