This recipe for vegan pumpkin banana muffins is by my good friend Hannah of Bittersweet. She was a freshman in college when she shared this recipe with us. Now she has many cookbooks under her culinary belt, including Real Food, Really Fast, Vegan à la Mode, Vegan Desserts, and Easy As Vegan Pie.
To make these pumpkin banana muffins special, Hannah uses her homemade maple pumpkin butter instead of plain pumpkin puree. It infuses more pumpkin intensity and a dose of spice.
This is a small batch recipe because Hannah created it while living in the dorms. It makes exactly 6 regular size muffins and 4 mini muffins, or 7 to 8 regular size muffins.
Special Diet Notes: Pumpkin Banana Muffins
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, vegan, and vegetarian.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon + additional for topping
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 ripe medium bananas
- ⅔ cup pumpkin butter
- ¼ cup dark brown sugar
- ¼ cup non-GMO canola oil (can sub your favorite baking oil)
- Rolled oats (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 350ºF and grease or line 7 to 8 muffin cups with cupcake liners.
- Put the flours, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl and whisk to combine.
- Put the bananas, pumpkin butter, brown sugar, and oil in a medium mixing bowl and beat with a hand mixer to combine.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet and stir just to combine; do not over mix.
- Spoon the batter into your prepared muffin cups, mounding it a bit in the center.
- Sprinkle oats and additional ground cinnamon on top, if desired.
- Bake for 15 to 25 minutes, or until golden brown and a tooth pick inserted into the middle of a muffin comes out clean.
- Remove the muffins to a wire rack to cool completely.
Key Ingredients: Pumpkin Banana Muffins
Cookbooks by Hannah
These muffins look so decent and delicate 🙂 – Natalie
Ah, such sweet memories! Thanks for bringing this one back again!
You have always been such a prolific baker Hannah!
Pingback: Maple Pumpkin Butter Recipe (Vegan, Refined Sugar-Free & Paleo-Friendly)