On a recent vacation, we found ourselves popping into Jamba Juice several mornings for their dairy-free acai and protein berry bowls. I really wanted to try their pumpkin pie smoothie bowl, but it was rich with dairy. Now that we’re home, it’s time to enjoy this indulgent healthy breakfast with a dairy-free twist.
The original version of this pumpkin pie smoothie bowl does contain some dairy, but we’ve adapted the recipe to be dairy free. I’ve also included several special diet options and substitute choices.
The recipe and photo were shared with us by the popular grocery store chain, ALDI. And they have a few delicious ideas for easy, healthy, inexpensive, dairy-free bites:
- Baked pears or apples are a sweet, seasonal treat. Slice them in half, core, and top with walnuts, drizzle with honey, and sprinkle with cinnamon. Bake the fruit until the sugars caramelize and the fruit soften.
- Take on-the-go snacks to the next level by coating almonds or garbanzo beans in your favorite seasonal spices and baking until crispy.
- Increase the nutrition on ordinary thick smoothies by serving them in a bowl and topping with seeds, nuts, more fruit, and spices. This pumpkin pie smoothie bowl is a great recipe to start with!
Special Diet Notes: Pumpkin Pie Smoothie Bowl
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, grain-free, peanut-free, soy-free, vegan, plant-based, and vegetarian.
For a nut-free pumpkin pie smoothie bowl, choose a nut-free, dairy-free milk beverage and skip the optional pecan garnish.
- ½ cup pumpkin puree
- ½ cup plain dairy-free yogurt (see Yogurt Note below)
- ½ frozen banana
- ½ cup unsweetened almond milk beverage
- 2 teaspoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice, or to taste
- Optional garnishes:flax seeds or flaxmeal, chia seeds, dairy-free semi-sweet chocolate chips, toasted chopped pecans, apple slices or chunks, and/or ground cinnamon
- Put the pumpkin, yogurt, banana, milk beverage, maple syrup, and pie spice in your blender and blend until smooth.
- Transfer the pumpkin smoothie to a bowl, and optionally top with your desired garnishes.
Key Ingredients: Pumpkin Pie Smoothie Bowl
Pingback: 13 Vegan Açaí and Smoothie Bowl Recipes to Start Your Morning Right
What a fun way to add nutritious pumpkin to breakfast! I’ll bet this is an even better morning pick me up than a pumpkin spice latte 😉
I think so!
Yum, yum!! I make something like this too, it’s my fave. I’ve been eating pumpkin every day with no end in sight…I think I need this today!
We love Aldi! They have so many great dairy-free products. This recipe looks delicious!
I’m envious! I’ve heard such great things about that grocery chain, but have never lived near one.