The butternut squash chili recipe posted earlier this week reminded me of pumpkin chili!
This is a great spring, summer, fall, or winter chili recipe since it uses canned pumpkin puree. But I thought it would be fun to share it again today, specifically, for two reasons. One is to give you a great recipe for the long chili season ahead. And two is because it uses Mexican-inspired flavors worth celebrating on Cinco de Mayo!
This fast pumpkin chili recipe merges bold spices with the mellow richness of a beloved squash for a new family-friendly favorite.
This pumpkin chili recipe with photo was shared with us by Cans Get You Cooking.
Special Diet Notes & Options: Pumpkin Chili
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, top food allergy-friendly, optionally vegan, optionally plant-based, and optionally vegetarian.
- 2 tablespoons olive or grapeseed oil
- 1 cup chopped red bell pepper
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 pound ground turkey, beef, or vegan ground round (can substitute a 15-ounce can of black beans or shredded jackfruit)
- 2 (14.5-ounce) cans diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (15-ounce) can pumpkin puree (we like Libby's)
- 1 (15-ounce) can tomato sauce (love Muir Glen)
- 1 (15.25-ounce) can dark red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (4.5-ounce) can chopped green chiles, chopped
- ½ cup frozen, canned, or fresh corn
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- Salt, to taste
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the chopped bell pepper and onion and saute for 5 to 7 minutes, or until tender. Add the garlic and saute for 30 seconds.
- Add the meat and break it up as you cook it until browned, about 5 minutes. Drain off any excess liquid.
- Add the tomatoes with juice, pumpkin, tomato sauce, beans, chiles, corn, chili powder, cumin and black pepper. Bring the soup to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover, and let simmer, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes.
- Season with salt, to taste.
More Chili-Inspired Recipes
Southwestern Chili Tapenade (vegan, gluten-free & allergy-friendly)
Light & Easy Chili Lime Popcorn (vegan, gluten-free & allergy-friendly)
Quick Chili Mac and Cheeze (gluten-free & allergy-friendly)