It might not be the best date night dip, but this roasted garlic and caramelized onion hummus is impossible to resist. It’s infused with SO MUCH flavor. You can serve it simply with vegetables and pita bread, use it as a spread, or even get a little creative and use it as a filling.
This recipe with photo and video, was shared with us by culinary.net.
This Roasted Garlic & Caramelized Onion Hummus is Anything but Boring
It’s true, hummus is a go-to for dairy-free living. But that doesn’t mean it can’t be interesting. This dip blends the sweet richness of caramelized onions and roasted garlic with classic hummus ingredients, for several layers of delicious flavor.
This recipe uses sweet onions, for maximum flavor. If you can’t find any good sweet onions at your local stores, you can substitute a yellow onion. It will work seamlessly.
Special Diet Notes: Roasted Garlic & Caramelized Onion Hummus
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, grain-free, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, vegan, plant-based, and vegetarian.
- 1 whole garlic head
- 1 teaspoon + 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 large sweet onion, thinly sliced
- 1 (15-ounce) can chickpeas
- ½ cup tahini
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice (about ½ lemon)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Preheat your oven to 350°F.
- Slice the top off the garlic head, so the tops of the cloves are exposed. Place the head cut-side down in a baking pan and drizzle with the 1 teaspoon olive oil.
- Bake the garlic for 20 to 30 minutes, or until the cloves are soft. Let cool.
- While the garlic bakes, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion and sauté until the slices begin to brown. Reduce the heat to low and continue cooking until the onions are soft and reach medium brown color.
- Drain and rinse the chickpeas, but reserve 3 tablespoons of the chickpea liquid (aquafaba).
- Add the chickpeas, reserved aquafaba, caramelized onion, tahini, remaining 3 tablespoons olive oil, lemon juice, and salt to your food processor. Squeeze the garlic from each clove into your food processor. Process until smooth.
- Serve the hummus with pita bread, vegetables, baguette, or crackers.