This flavorful roasted red pepper spread is a delicious twist on classic hummus. It’s creamier, and is more pepper-forward. It’s also made purely with healthy pantry ingredients, including olive oil. Most store-bought hummus and other spreads are made with soybean oil. But at home, you get to pick the best quality ingredients!
Enjoy this roasted red pepper spread as an appetizer with dairy-free French bread or crackers, as a dip with carrots, celery, and cruciferous florets, or as a sandwich spread. The recipe was originally shared with us by the team at Meatout Mondays, but they discovered it on Recipezaar (now Food.com). We’ve made just a couple minor updates!
Special Diet Notes: Roasted Red Pepper Spread
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, grain-free, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, vegan, plant-based, and vegetarian.
- 2 (16-ounce) cans garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 (6-ounce) jars roasted red peppers, drained
- ½ cup lemon juice
- ¼ cup tahini
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 1 tablespoon minced onions
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon white pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 to 4 tablespoons olive oil, as needed
- Add the garbanzo beans, roasted red peppers, lemon juice, tahini, garlic, parsley, onion, smoked paprika, salt, white pepper, and cayenne to your blender or food processor. Process until fairly smooth. Blend in oil, as needed, for a creamy consistency.
- Transfer the spread to a serving bowl, cover, and refrigerate it for at least 2 to 3 hour before serving. This allows time for the flavors to meld.