This Pomegranate Rice recipe & post comes from Brilynn Ferguson of Paper Palate.
I recently received a copy to review of Discovery of a Continent by Marcus Samuelsson. This particular copy is currently available only at Starbucks and contains nearly 100 recipes from all over Africa, as well as five additional African-inspired Starbucks barista recipes created especially for this book (including a coffee-enhanced Two-Alarm Pumpkin Chili).
One of the things I enjoyed the most about this cookbook is that the recipes are intertwined with Samuelsson’s stories about Africa and its influence on worldwide cooking – from the markets in Marrakech to a cooking school outside of Cape Town. Discovery of a Continent will take you on a flavourful journey and give you a feel for the spice and variety that make up Africa.
*The recipe from the book recommends using butter, since this does contain dairy, we have noted margarine instead
Special Diet Notes: Pomegranate Rice
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, nut-free, peanut-free, optionally soy-free, vegan, and vegetarian.
- 2 tablespoons dairy-free margarine
- 2 cups broken jasmine rice or long-grain white rice
- ½ cup olive oil
- 2 shallots, chopped
- One 2-inch piece ginger, peeled and grated
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- 1 bay leaf
- ½ cup pistachios
- Seeds from 2 pomegranates
- Melt the butter* in a medium sauté pan over very low heat. Add ½ cup of the rice, stirring to coat. Cook for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the rice is a nut-brown colour. Remove from heat.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the shallots, ginger, cinnamon, and the remaining 1 ½ cups rice and sauté, stirring frequently, until the rice is golden brown, about 5 minutes. Add the chicken stock and bay leaf and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 14 minutes. Remove from the heat and let sit, covered, for 10 minutes, or until all the liquid are absorbed.
- Mix together the rices in a bowl, and fold in the pistachios and pomegranate seeds.
- Remove the bay leaf. Serve immediately or at room temperature.