This turmeric smoothie recipe post is the second in my “food trend” sponsored series for this year’s 21 Day Dairy-Free Challenge with So Delicious. The Challenge will run from January 23rd to February 12th, but sign up now for new coupons, a chance to win a year’s supply of So Delicious Dairy Free, dairy-free tips, a dairy-free shopping list and snack guide, and more!
Apparently, when you’re a superpower spice, you get to make “top food trend” lists for more years than one. Last year, trend setters began sharing nourishing versions of turmeric-infused golden milk. But this year, turmeric is expected to hit the mainstream. More consumers will experiment with it. Chefs will tap into its creative uses. And mixologists will incorporate it into their drink menus. But there’s no reason to get too fancy. My everyday turmeric smoothie and the other recipes below are delicious ways to enjoy this nutritious golden spice anytime.
Healthy Tips for Using Turmeric
Curcumin is the component in turmeric that is hailed for health, but it does require a couple of aides to maximize its power. On its own, curcumin can do just a little good, but black pepper has been shown to increase curcumin bioavailability by 2000%. Yes, that common spice can boost how much our bodies utilize from turmeric by two THOUSAND percent.
Also, curcumin is fat-soluble, so many dietitians recommend enjoying some fat with turmeric to help improve absorption. In my everyday turmeric smoothie recipe below, I add a little full-fat coconut milk for both its creaminess and to support the turmeric. I love making my food do double duty.
More Golden Plant-Based Recipes
Turmeric isn’t just for curries anymore. With a beautiful hue and somewhat mellow flavor, it can be incorporated into all sorts of dishes and drinks.
- Creamy Anti-Inflammatory Dressing (vegan, gluten-free & soy-free)
- Golden Milk Latte (vegan, gluten-free & food allergy-friendly)
- Tangerine Mango Tango Lassi (vegan, gluten-free & food allergy-friendly)
- Golden Coconutmilk Bars (vegan, gluten-free & soy-free)
- Creamsicle Winter Sustainable Smoothie (vegan, gluten-free & food allergy-friendly)
- Golden Butternut Squash Soup (vegan, gluten-free & food allergy-friendly)
- Quinoa Bowl with Healthy Hollandaise Sauce (vegan, gluten-free & soy-free)
- Coconut Mango Smoothie (vegan, gluten-free & food allergy-friendly)
- Queso Sauce (vegan, gluten-free & soy-free)
- Baked Broccoli Dumplings with Indian-Spiced Gravy (vegan, gluten-free & food allergy-friendly)
And don’t forget to enjoy my Everyday Turmeric Smoothie recipe below, too!
Special Diet Notes: Everyday Turmeric Smoothie
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, grain-free, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, vegan, plant-based, top food allergy-friendly, optionally paleo-friendly, and optionally Whole30-friendly.
- 1 frozen ripe banana, broken into chunks (can sub ¾ cup frozen mango chunks)
- ½ to 1 cup dairy-free unsweetened coconut milk beverage (I use So Delicious)
- 2 tablespoons coconut milk (I use So Delicious
- ¼ to ½ teaspoon vanilla extract (I use alcohol-free)
- ½ teaspoon ground turmeric
- ⅛ teaspoon ground ginger
- ⅛ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Pinch salt
- Pinch black pepper
- 3 to 5 drops pure stevia or your favorite sweetener, to taste
- Place the frozen fruit, ½ cup milk beverage, coconut milk, vanilla (to taste), turmeric, ginger, cinnamon, salt, and pepper in your blender and puree until smooth.
- Blend in sweetener, to taste, and more milk beverage to thin, if desired.