This recipe for dairy-free cornbread was a “sweet” entry in our March Recipe Madness Contestback in 2014. It was created and submitted by the Sugar Bakers, CJ Leavens and Joey Conway. To qualify, the recipe was made with 8 core ingredients or less. We’ve since updated the post and the recipe just a bit!
This simple, dairy-free cornbread has a rich buttery flavor and just a hint of lemon to compliment the sweetness. Lemon juice adds acidity to help the “faux buttermilk” do its job. If needed, you can substitute apple cider vinegar for the lemon juice.
Special Diet Notes: Sweet Vegan Cornbread
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, vegan, and vegetarian.
- 1 cup plain dairy-free milk beverage (they use almond milk)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1¼ cups flour
- ¾ cup cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅔ cup sugar
- ½ cup dairy-free buttery spread, melted
- 2 egg replacers (they use Ener-G Egg Replacer mixed with water; Aquafaba also works well or see our Egg Sub Guide)
- Preheat your oven to 375ºF degrees, and line an 8-inch square pan with parchment paper.
- Measure the milk beverage in a glass measuring cup and whisk in the lemon juice.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cornmeal, baking soda, and salt.
- Combine baking soda, cornmeal, flour, and salt in a medium sized bowl and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, blend the sugar and melted buttery spread. Whisk in the egg replacer and milk-lemon juice mixture.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and fold until only a few lumps are still left.
- Pour the mixture into your prepared pan and even it out.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
More Sweet Vegan Quick Bread Recipes
Bananas Foster Bread
Grandma’s Buttermylk & Honey Bread
Gumdrop Mini Loaves
This is such a fun vegan quick bread recipe to bake with kids! It’s great for holidays, like Christmas or Easter, but also for a spring or summer project.