This ingenious Vegan Chocolate Zucchini Bread recipe was the Runner-Up Winner in the Coconut category of our #FrozenFridays Recipe Contest. The event was sponsored by So Delicious Dairy Free and hosted by us, Go Dairy Free. But this winning entry is by Andie Thueson of Maybe I Will.
Andie is a NASM personal trainer and fitness nutrition specialist. She’s also a mom of three kids, and in her “spare time” blogs at www.maybeiwill.com. She loves sharing her passion for health and fitness with drool-worthy recipes that are healthy AND delicious!
Beyond food, Andie also shares awesome workouts, and tips to help you live life as a healthier and happier you!
Our Testing Notes: Vegan Chocolate Zucchini Bread Ice Cream Sandwiches
It seems like an obvious concept, yet I’ve never seen it done before – using actual bread to make ice cream sandwiches! Here’s what one of our contest recipe testers had to say about the actual results:
We really liked this zucchini bread recipe. It has really good flavor. I wasn’t sure how the spices would work with the chocolate, but they do work together. And the coconut vanilla was the right choice of ice cream. It’s nice and light with the rich bread. The recipe makes two loaves of zucchini bread, which is a lot! The kids ate the leftover bread for breakfast yesterday and today. It’s very good toasted! It’s a very good bread recipe that we’ll make again, and I love the ice cream sandwich idea. I’m already thinking of other bread/ice cream combinations.
Special Diet Notes: Vegan Chocolate Zucchini Bread Ice Cream Sandwiches
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, vegan, and vegetarian.
For gluten-free vegan chocolate zucchini bread, you can try your favorite gluten-free all-purpose flour blend, but please note that we haven’t tested this yet. Please do comment if you try it!
- 3 cups all-purpose flour (can substitute white-whole wheat flour)
- ½ cup natural cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 2 cups sugar or your granulated sweetener of choice
- 1 cup plain dairy-free yogurt (used So Delicious CoconutMilk Yogurt Alternative)
- 3 egg replacers (used Bob's Red Mill Egg Replacer; can sub 3 large eggs for non-vegan)
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups grated zucchini
- 1 10-ounce bag dairy-free chocolate chips
- Dairy-free vanilla ice cream (used So Delicious Vanilla Bean CoconutMilk Frozen Dessert)
- Preheat your oven to 350ºF and grease two 9x5-inch loaf pans.
- Sift the flour and cocoa powder into a large bowl. Add the baking soda, cinnamon, cloves, ginger, allspice, salt, and baking powder and whisk to combine.
- Put the sugar, yogurt, egg replacers, and vanilla in a large mixing bowl. Mix with a hand mixer to combine.
- Stir in the zucchini. Slowly add the dry ingredients, stirring to combine. The batter will be very thick. Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Divide the batter between to loaf pans and level out.
- Bake for 45 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of each loaf comes out clean.
- Let cool for 10 minutes in the pans, before turning the loaves out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- Let the ice cream sit at room temperature for 10 minutes or so to soften for easier scooping.
- Once the bread is completed cool, cut 2 slices for each sandwich. Top 1 slice with a scoop of ice cream, and gently press down to make and even layer. Top with the second slice and enjoy!