The presentation says beautiful dessert, but the ingredients shout healthy snack. However you categorize it, this watermelon cake is fun and easy to make, and a great way to dazzle guests and delight kids without excess added sugars.
Though you can decorate this watermelon cake however you like, for potlucks, barbecues, or birthday parties, the blueberries and strawberries give it a patriotic look that’s perfectly festive for the 4th of July!
And since it’s naturally vegan, gluten-free and free of top allergens (see the nut-free option below), it’s a suitable and delicious recipe for almost everyone to enjoy.
The recipe and photo for this watermelon cake were shared with us by watermelon.org.
Special Diet Notes: Fresh & Fruity Watermelon Cake
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, grain-free, peanut-free, soy-free, vegan / plant-based, and vegetarian.
For a paleo watermelon cake, substitute honey-sweetened coconut cream for the yogurt or use a homemade dairy-free, paleo yogurt.
For a nut-free watermelon cake, substitute unsweetened shredded coconut for the almond slices. Confused about coconut and tree nut allergies? See this post.
- 1 seedless watermelon
- 1 cup vanilla dairy-free yogurt (see Yogurt Note below)
- 1 cup sliced almonds (see note in post above for nut-free)
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1 cup sliced strawberries
- Place the watermelon on its side on a cutting board. Cut 3 to 5 inches off each end to create large center slice between 3 to 5 inches in depth. Trim off the outer rind.
- Cut the watermelon slice into 6 to 8 pie-shaped wedges. Blot edges with paper towels to absorb excess moisture.
- Dip the back (curved) side of each slice in yogurt and then almonds, re-assembling pieces on a serving platter as each piece is completed. When finished, it will look like pie crust of almonds around watermelon slices.
- Frost the top of the reassembled watermelon with remaining the yogurt and decorate top with berries. Chill until ready to serve.
Pingback: 25 Vegan 4th of July Recipes - Vegan Heaven
Pingback: July 4th Red White & Blue Treats - NO Gluten & Vegan - My DairyFree GlutenFree Life
Pingback: 30 Dairy-Free Watermelon Recipes + Latest Health Info
watermelon.org may be my new favourite site ever. This looks insane!
Oh, what a gorgeous watermelon cake! I can never get enough of these recipes. Love the presentation on this one, and the ingredients!
I have always wanted to make one of these (with whip cream!), this one is beautiful!