Today is National Watermelon Day! Nearing their ripest point in the season, I highly recommend picking up a watermelon to nosh on wedges at picnics and backyard barbecues or to enjoy in some delicious dairy-free watermelon recipes (see below!). And in case you need some extra motivation, there are actually some new nutritious findings about this uber-sweet fruit.
What’s New in the Healthy World of Watermelon?
- Thanks to recent research studies on high-lycopene foods, watermelon has jumped to the front of the pack – battling tomatoes for champion of this super phytonutrient. Lycopene has long been prized as valuable for cardiovascular health, but scientists are now viewing it as a strong contender for bone health, too.
- Watermelon has a high citrulline content, which is a precursor to an amino acid that halps to improve cardiovascular health. Some studies have also shown that the conversion of citrulline may help to prevent excess accumulation of fat.
- There’s no need to cast those watermelon wedges once you’ve devoured the bright red flesh. Even the pale pink layer has shown to be a nutritional standout for phenolic antioxidants, flavonoids, lycopene, and vitamin C. Our dairy-free watermelon recipes below show how to use not only that pale pink power but the rind, too!
- That said, recent studies have shown that fully ripened watermelons do pack a more nutrient-dense punch throughout than their under-ripe beginnings. The biggest jump in lycopene (and other antioxidants) seems to occur when the watermelon flesh turns from white-pink to pink, but it becomes even more concentrated with that juicy red color appears.
And did you know that watermelon is the most popular fruit on Facebook?
Watermelon Carving Fun
Dairy-Free Watermelon Recipes
Cool Watermelon Sips and Sweets
- Watermelon Lemonade
- No Added Sugar Watermelon Pops
- Strawberry Watermelon Soul Smoothie
- Red, White & Blue Watermelon “Cake”
- Watermelon Lime Soda
- Watermelon Basil Cooler
- Watermelon Pops Take Two
- Watermelon Sherbet
- Healthy Watermelon Slushies
- Vegan Watermelon Lime Ice Cream
- Nutritious Watermelon Breakfast “Cake”
- Refreshing Watermelon Punch
- Watermelon Pudding
- Skinny Watermelon Mojito
- CocoMelon Coolers
Healthy Watermelon Salads & Salsas
- Watermelon Raspberry Spinach Salad with Pomegranate Vinaigrette
- Cucumber Watermelon Salad
- Strawberry Mint Watermelon Salsa
- Susan’s Summertime Salsa
- Watermelon Waldorf Salad
- Watermelon and Olive Salad
- Watermelon Pico de Gallo
More Dairy-Free Watermelon Recipes
- Jasmine Watermelon Gazpacho (optionally with crab)
- Watermelon Rind Pickles
- Watermelon Pancake Sandwiches
- Thai Grilled Shrimp Skewers with Watermelon Avocado Salsa
- Cucumber Watermelon Sammies
- Cool Cucumber Melon Soup
- Watermelon Rind Soup
- Patriotic Watermelon Wands
- Watermelon Jerky
- Watermelon Bites with Prosciutto, Olives and Basil