This recipe for warm couscous salad was a “15 minutes or less” entry in the Fast & Fresh Dairy-Free Time Trials Recipe Contest, submitted by reader Christina Coopman. To cook the couscous, she uses dairy-free Coconut Milk Beverage from So Delicious.
Special Diet Notes & Options: Baby Kale and Warm Couscous Salad
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, peanut-free, vegan, and vegetarian.
For soy-free couscous salad, use Christina’s chicken alternative for the tofu (not a vegan / vegetarian option).
- ½ cup So Delicious Dairy Free Unsweetened Coconut Milk Beverage
- ⅓ cup couscous
- 1 teaspoon vegetable bouillon powder
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- 4 cups loosely packed baby kale
- 1 large orange (roughly 1 cup cubed)
- ½ cup pecan pieces
- ½ cup dried cranberries
- ¼ lemon
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 green onions
- ⅓ cup crumbled firm tofu
- Pepper to taste
- Bring coconut milk, cumin and vegetable bouillon powder to a boil in a pot. Add couscous and dried cranberries, cover and remove from heat. Let stand 5 minutes.
- While couscous is cooking, remove peel form orange and cube. Place into a bowl with pecans and baby kale.
- Crumble tofu in separate bowl, add salt and pepper and squeeze the juice of ¼ lemon into it. Mix and set aside.
- Slice green onions for garnish.
- Toss couscous and olive oil with the kale mixture.
- Serve onto 2 plates and top with crumbled tofu and green onions. Eat immediately and enjoy.