Chai Tea (Vegan, Gluten-Free, Nut-Free, Soy-Free)
Author: Alisa Fleming
Recipe type: Drinks
- 2 cups milk alternative (soy, rice, or almond)
- 1 cups water
- 2 Tablespoons loose leaf black tea (or more to taste)
- 1 ½” cinnamon stick, broken into pieces
- 1 ½” piece of fresh ginger, peeled and cut into chunks
- 10 green cardamom pods, crushed slightly
- 7 whole cloves
- 4 black peppercorns
- 1 Tablespoons sugar (or more to taste)
- Crush herbs and spices, leaving large pieces.
- Combine all ingredients in saucepan and bring to a light simmer.
- Do not boil.
- Turn off heat, cover and steep for 15 minutes.
- Uncover, return to a simmer; strain and serve hot. Can be chilled.
Be sure to use the milk alternative that suits your diet best (ie rice or soymilk for nut-free).