This recipe for vegan cinnamon scones is a “30 minutes or less” entry in the Fast & Fresh Dairy-Free Time Trials Recipe Contest, submitted by reader Donna Ryan. To replace the cream and eggs, she uses Cultured Coconut Milk (dairy-free yogurt) from So Delicious.
Donna says, “Scones are an old fashioned breakfast /tea delight. There are many different recipes for scones and they are a bit crumbly –like biscuits and usually made much like a pie pastry. I love this cinnamon scones recipe because it works up fast and is so easy to do. Also, it is a bit lighter and flakier than most.”
For more details and to enter the recipe contest, see this post: http://www.godairyfree.org/news/dairy-free-time-trials-recipe-contest
Special Diet Notes & Options: Vegan Cinnamon Scones
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, vegan and vegetarian.
If you’re unable to find dairy-free cinnamon chips, try this homemade recipe.
- 1-1/2 cups flour + 1 tablespoon for board
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup sugar + 1 tablespoon for top
- 1 cup So Delicious Dairy Free Plain Cultured Coconut Milk (Yogurt)
- ¼ cup mini cinnamon chips
- ½ cup dried blueberries
- Preheat oven to 450ºF. Prepare pan by placing parchment on baking sheet or spraying scone pan with baking spray.
- Mix the dry ingredients in a large bowl with a fork.
- Mix the yogurt to the dry ingredients. Mix with a fork until all is damp.
- Fold in cinnamon chips and blueberries.
- Flour your bread board and dump mix onto board. Pat and knead about 8 times to get mix to hang together. Pat into a circle that is about ½-3/4 inch thick. Sprinkle with top with extra sugar!
- Slice with a knife or bread scraper into 8 equal sized pieces. Best to cut in half, and half again , and again! Either lift and place into a scone baking pan or onto the parchment baking sheet.
- Lower heat to 400ºF. Place Scones in oven and bake 13-15 minutes until a toothpick inserted comes out dry.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool 5 minutes before removing from pan.