Special Diet Notes: Cinnamon Toasties
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, peanut-free, nut-free, gluten-free, soy-free, vegan, plant-based, and vegetarian.
- ½ cup canola oil, plus more for pan
- 1 cup garbanzo and fava bean flour
- ½ cup potato starch
- ¼ cup arrowroot
- 1¼ cups unrefined sugar
- 2¼ teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon xanthan gum
- 2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- ⅓ cup store-bought unsweetened applesauce
- Preheat oven to 325°. Brush a 6¾-by-4¼-by-2¾-inch loaf pan with oil; set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, potato starch, arrowroot, 1 cup sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, xanthan gum, and 1 tablespoon cinnamon.
- In a medium bowl, stir together oil, applesauce, and 1 cup hot water. Add oil mixture to flour mixture; stir until well combined. Measure out ⅓ cup of batter and place in a small bowl. Pour remaining batter into prepared loaf pan. Stir remaining ¼ cup sugar and 1 tablespoon cinnamon into reserved batter. Add to loaf pan, swirling to combine.
- Transfer to oven and bake about 20 minutes. Brush top of loaf with oil and continue baking until golden brown, about 15 minutes. Let cool completely on a wire rack before unmolding.