This recipe for hazelnut ice cream sandwiches is an entry in our Spring Fling Dairy-Free Recipe Contest, created and submitted by Nancy Siegel. To qualify, the recipe includes Coconut Milk Beverage and Coconut Milk Ice Cream by So Delicious Dairy Free.
For more details about the recipe contest, see this post: www.godairyfree.org/news/spring-fling-dairy-free-recipe-contest
Special Diet Notes & Options: Hazelnut Ice Cream Sandwiches
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, gluten-free, grain-free, peanut-free, soy-free, and vegetarian.
- 1 cup organic extra virgin coconut oil
- ¾ cup organic sugar + 2 tablespoons for pressing cookies
- 2 eggs
- ¼ cup So Delicious Dairy Free Unsweetened Vanilla Coconut Milk Beverage
- 1 cup coconut flour
- ¾ cup hazelnut meal flour
- 1 pint So Delicious Dairy Free Vanilla Almond Milk Ice Cream, softened
- ½ cup chocolate hazelnut butter (Nancy uses Justin’s because of the texture and small amount of sugar)
- With an electric mixer, blend coconut oil and ¾ cup sugar. Add eggs and coconut milk and mix until well blended. Stir in coconut flour and hazelnut meal flour and blend well. It may require some hand kneading to get the dough mixed thoroughly.
- Roll dough into balls (a heaping tablespoon each) placing each one on a parchment lined cookie sheet, leaving about an inch between balls. (Note: A small cookie scoop works well for this also and is much quicker.) There should be 40 balls of dough.
- Dip a large fork into the reserved sugar and press each cookie once and then again at a right angle to the first impression (as for a peanut butter cookie). The cookies should be pressed to about ¼-inch thick. Since there is no leavening in the dough, it will not spread during baking, so the cookies can be fairly close together.
- Bake at 350ºF (325ºF convection) for 20-25 minutes, or until lightly browned. Cool completely on racks.
- Combine ice cream and hazelnut spread in food processor. Pulse until well blended.
- Spread about 2 tablespoons filling on each of 20 cookies and top each with another cookie. Place on a parchment lined baking sheet that will fit in the freezer and freeze for about an hour. Then wrap each sandwich cookie individually in plastic wrap and place in a reclosable plastic freezer bag and return to the freezer until serving time.