This recipe for gluten-free dessert waffles was a “dessert” entry in the So Delicious Dairy Free 3-Course Recipe Contest, submitted by reader Catherine Norris. For the batter and cream, she uses Coconut Milk Beverage and Culinary Coconut Milk, respectively, from So Delicious.
Special Diet Notes & Options: Dessert Waffles with Coconut Cream
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, gluten-free, peanut-free, soy-free, tree nut-free, and vegetarian. Just use caution when selecting your all-purpose gluten-free flour, using the one that fits your dietary needs best.
- 2 cups all-purpose gluten free flour
- 1 egg
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup So Delicious Dairy Free Coconut Milk Beverage
- 1 tablespoon oil
- cooking spray
- 1 package So Delicious Dairy Free Culinary Coconut Milk
- 2 tablespoons agave nectar
- fruit of choice to decorate
- In a large mixing bowl combine all of the ingredients. Beat well until blended and smooth. Let stand for about 15 minutes.
- Preheat the waffle iron according the its instructions. When hot spray with cooking spray. Then pour the batter into the waffle iron and bake until steaming stops. Remove when done, the waffles can be kept in a stack in a low heat oven until all are made.
- To make the whipped cream place the can of coconut milk in the refrigerator and leave it there for about an hour.
- Next, turn the can upside-down and open. Pour out the coconut milk and save. Scoop out the firm layer of coconut cream into a large bowl. Whip the cream with a hand beater at high speed for about 5 minutes until it becomes fluffy and light.
- Add agave to taste, I used about 2 teaspoonfuls.
- Assemble the waffles, coconut cream and fruit of choice. Consider what you've had for your main course and choose fruits that compliment. I've used honeydew melon and blueberries as one combination and clementines, blueberries and pomegranate as my second combo, both look and taste scrumptious with the coconut cream and coconut waffle!