Though this vegan queso dip recipe is served with a side of chips, we loved it for dipping broccoli, cauliflower and bread, too. Tony didn’t even notice it was packed with sweet potato! The recipe was submitted by Leigh-Ann of Sugar ‘n Stuff as a Savory entry in the BIG Snackable Recipe Contest (entries are now closed, but the winners will be announced on that post!).
The contest is a celebration of our new FREE Snackable eBook with delicious, original Sweet, Savory and Sippable Dairy-Free Recipes. Download and enjoy it now via PDF, iTunes, Kindle, Kobo or Google Play: www.godairyfree.org/snackable-ebook
Sweet Potato & Seasonings: If using cubed cooked sweet potato, then the seasonings seem to be pretty spot on. When I tested with mashed sweet potato, which comes out to quite a bit more, I opted to up the nutritional yeast to 1/4 cup (4 tablespoons) and used about 1 teaspoon of salt. The amount of salt you need will depend on your taco seasoning and salsa flavors.
Lighten Up: When using a full cup of mashed sweet potato, this vegan queso dip turns out delightfully thick. If you want to cut calories, you can use Lite Coconut Milk, which will create a slightly thinner dip. I recommend sticking with So Delicious, as their Lite is one of the richest on the market.
Special Diet Notes: Vegan Queso Dip
By ingredients this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, grain-free (if you dip veggies instead of chips!), nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, vegan / plant-based, and vegetarian.
- 1½ cups So Delicious Dairy Free Original Culinary Coconut Milk
- 1 cup cooked sweet potato (easiest route is to bake in the microwave; see Alisa's Notes above)
- 3 to 4 tablespoons nutritional yeast flakes (see Alisa's Notes above)
- 2 teaspoons taco seasoning (try this blend)
- 1 large clove garlic, peeled
- 1 teaspoon yellow or Dijon mustard
- ½ teaspoon sea salt, or to taste (see Alisa's Notes above)
- 1 cup salsa or pico de gallo
- Minced jalapeno peppers, for garnish (optional)
- Tortilla chips, for serving
- Place the coconut milk, sweet potato, nutritional yeast, taco seasoning, garlic, mustard and salt in your blender and puree until smooth.
- Pour the mixture into a saucepan and heat over medium heat until it begins to bubble.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the salsa. Taste test, and adjust seasonings if desired.
- Pour the vegan queso dip into a bowl, top with jalapenos, if desired, and serve with chips.