Alisa Fleming ~ These eggplant fries make a fun and easy side dish or healthy snack. They are naturally vegan, paleo, gluten-free, dairy-free, sugar-free, and pretty darn close to everyone-friendly! Thanks to So Delicious Dairy Free for sharing the recipe with us!
When grocery shopping to make eggplant fries, look for a 1 to 1-1/2 pound eggplant with a deep purple flesh that is shiny, smooth, and doesn’t have blemishes or brown spots. That’s an ideal world anyway – you can always cut away any bad spots, but a smooth skin that is relatively firm is a sign of a fresh and healthy eggplant.
Eggplant is a member of the “purple produce” family. That rich hue means it is an abundant source of antioxidants. In fact, the main type of antioxidants in eggplant has been found to be one of the most potent plant-based, free radical scavengers.
According to studies, benefits related to this include anti-cancer, antimicrobial, anti-LDL (bad cholesterol) and antiviral activities.
To keep the fat relatively low in these eggplant fries (eggplants love to suck up oil!), this recipe uses unsweetened coconut milk beverage or almond milk beverage for most of the moisture. Almond Plus will add a little extra dose of protein, vitamins, and minerals while Coconut Milk Beverage intensfies the coconut vibe with minimal added fat.
Click here for a So Delicious Coupon
- 1 large eggplant (see my notes in the post above on picking eggplants)
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup So Delicious® Dairy Free Unsweetened Coconut Milk Beverage or So Delicious® Dairy Free Unsweetened Almond Plus Almond Milk Beverage
- Juice of 1 fresh lemon
- ¼ cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground white pepper
- Preheat your oven to 350°F. Prepare a baking dish or tray with nonstick cooking spray.
- Using a sharp knife, slice the eggplant in half lengthwise, and then place each half with the flat side down on the cutting surface. Slice each half into 8 fry-like shapes.
- In a large bowl, whisk together remaining ingredients. Add eggplant pieces and toss gently to coat.
- Place eggplant pieces onto your prepared baking sheet, bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from oven and set aside to cool for for 3 minutes.
- Serve with a side of salsa or guacamole.