What scares me most about Halloween? Craftiness. But these simple mummy cookies helped me overcome some creative fears without pushing outside of my comfort zone.
Growing up, I witnessed my mother’s ability to hand-sew our clothes and create beautiful paintings from photographs. But her perfectionist nature eventually stopped her artistic hobbies. I inherited her stickler attitude toward details, but my father’s very analytical nature (read: zero artistic talent). So the very idea of a holiday that focuses so heavily on visual crafts is quite frightening to me.
Nonetheless, I was determined to do something spooky this year, rather than playing it safe with pumpkin recipes. But you need not worry about me getting too elaborate. If I can make these Mummy Cookies, then I guarantee that anyone can!
This post is sponsored by Enjoy Life, but the mummy cookies idea, recipe, and photos are all me.
These mummy cookies are a cute, fun, and super-easy treat for parties or even making with kids. And since they use convenient ingredients, you can whip them up in less than 30 minutes.
To keep them vegan, gluten-free, and free of top allergens, I use Enjoy Life crunchy cookies and chocolate chips. But if you’re like Tony and can’t keep your hands out of the chocolate chip bag (sometimes it’s hard to finish a chocolate recipe around here!), Enjoy Life also has new single-serve snack packs of their Mini Chips and Dark Morsels to keep you satisfied.
Chocolate Chip Snack Pack Giveaway – 3 Winners!
This giveaway is now closed. Congratulations to Mariah, David and Sarah!
Special Diet Notes: Mummy Cookies
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, vegan, and vegetarian. Please note that the allergy-friendly nature of this recipe is based on using Enjoy Life products, which are made in a top allergen-free facility.
- ¾ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips + additional for eyes (I used Enjoy Life Mini Chips)
- ½ tablespoon coconut oil or non-hydrogenated shortening
- 12 allergy-friendly crunchy sugar cookies (I used 1 box Enjoy Life Sugar Crisp Crunchy Cookies)
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 4 teaspoons unsweetened dairy-free milk beverage (I use So Delicious coconut milk beverage), or as needed
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Melt the chocolate chips with the oil or shortening. Whisk until smooth.
- Dip the tops of the cookies in the chocolate (go ahead, get your hands chocolaty!), letting excess drip off . Turn them right side up onto a wire rack or sheet lined with wax or parchment paper.
- Place the cookies in the refrigerator while you make the icing..
- Add the powdered sugar to a mixing bowl and drizzle in the vanilla. Add the milk beverage, 1 teaspoon at a time, until you get a thick, but slightly drizzly icing. You might need just 3 teaspoons or you might need 5. I use exactly 4 teaspoons.
- Place the icing in something with a narrow opening for piping. I love using squeeze bottles and bought ones like these at the grocery store.
- Pull the cookies from the refrigerator once the chocolate is set.
- Pipe two icing dots on each cookie for the eyes. Press a mini chocolate chip, upside down, in the center of each icing eye.
- Pipe icing across the cookies in a random fashion like mummy bandages.
- Store in a single layer until ready to serve. Because our place is warm, and I don't temper the chocolate, I keep them chilled. But they should keep at room temperature, too.