Special Diet Notes: Mashed Potato Casserole
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, gluten-free, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, and vegetarian.
- 2½ pounds boiling potatoes, unpeeled
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 8 ounces small mushrooms, quartered
- ¼ cup vegetable broth, chicken broth, dairy-free milk alternative, or pureed tofu
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- Put potatoes in a large saucepan with water to cover and a pinch of salt and bring to a boil. Cover and simmer over low heat for 35 minutes or until very tender. Drain and leave until cool enough to handle.
- In a big skillet, heat oil or butter, add onion; saute over medium heat until light golden. Add mushrooms and salt and pepper to taste, and saute over medium-high heat for 7 minutes or until brown. Set aside.
- Peel potatoes if desired. Put in big bowl, cut each in a few pieces and beat with a mixer at low speed until coarsely mashed. Beat in broth or milk alternative. Beat in the eggs, just until blended. Stir in ½ cup of reserved mushroom mixture. Add ¾ teaspoon salt and ½ teaspoon pepper, or to taste.
- Grease a 6- or 7-cup casserole and add half of potato mixture. Top with remaining mushroom mixture, then with remaining potato mixture. Smooth top and sprinkle with paprika. Bake in preheated 350-degree oven uncovered for 50 minutes, or until top is firm and light golden at edges.