Sweet ‘n Easy Baked Beans
Perfect for picnics, potlucks and barbecues, these easy baked beans take just minutes to prepare, though you will want to allow some time for the flavors to meld on the stovetop. These lean toward the sweet side with honey (or agave for vegan), apple butter, and ketchup in the mix, but also have a cumin and cayenne kick.
As is, these easy baked beans use an attractive tri-color mix, but you can use whatever selection of beans that you have on hand.
This recipe, which is naturally vegan, gluten-free, dairy-free, soy-free, and allergy-friendly, was shared with us by Musselman’s.
- 1 cup apple butter (such as Musselman’s or homemade)
- 1/3 cup honey or agave nectar
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons minced dried onion
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 15.5-ounce can great northern beans, drained
- 1 15.5-ounce can black beans, drained, rinsed
- 1 15.5-ounce can red or pinto beans, drained
- Heat your oven to 375°F.
- Mix the apple butter, sweetener, ketchup, water, onion, cumin, salt, and cayenne in a large bowl until well-combined.
- Stir in the beans, and pour it all into a 2-quart baking dish or casserole.
- Bake for 50 to 60 minutes or until hot and bubbly. Alternately, you can let the mixture simmer on low in a crockpot for 4 to 6 hours.
Copyright Fleming Marrs Inc. ~ www.GoDairyFree.org
If you liked this post, please share it …
Tagged barbecues, egg-free, food allergy-friendly, gluten-free, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, summer, vegan, vegetarian