August is a huge transition month. Technically, it’s stil summer. There is lots of swimming to be done and outdoor energy to burn. But, sports activities are also starting back up, families are preparing to buckle down for the fall, and some kids are already heading back to school! I call this super-snack season. Everyone needs fuel and portable snack ideas as they go from laid back summer mode to a packed schedule.
So what do I make when energy is required? Well, how about a cheesecake-inspired dairy-free and vegan spread sandwiched between two graham crackers? Oh yes I did. I made dairy-free cheesecake grahamwiches. And while I was at it, I added …
Dairy-Free Chocolate …
… and Strawberries
Special Diet Notes: Cheesecake Grahamwiches
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, optionally gluten-free, peanut-free, optionally soy-free, optionally vegan, plant-based, and vegetarian.
- ½ cup raw cashews
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar (can sub another sugar)
- Scant ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice, or to taste
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 teaspoons coconut oil
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 10 drops vanilla stevia, or to taste (optional)
- 4 whole dairy-free graham crackers (vegan or gluten-free, if needed)
- 4 sliced strawberries or 2 bars dairy-free dark chocolate broken into chunks (optional)
- Place the cashews, sugar, and salt in a spice grinder, and whiz for 60 seconds to finely grind.
- Place the cashew mixture, lemon juice, water, coconut oil, and vanilla in a small blender or food processor and process until smooth.
- Blend in the stevia or additional sweetener, as desired.
- Place the mixture in an airtight container in the refrigerator to set-up. You can enjoy it immediately, but it will be quite soft. I like to make it the night before, allowing it to thicken and meld the flavors overnight. It will keep for a few days in the refrigerator.
- To make the grahamwiches, break the graham crackers in quarters, and spread the graham quarters with the cashew spread.
- Sandwich two cracker pieces together with the filling in the middle. If desired, place sliced strawberries or dark chocolate in the middle of each grahamwich.