Frugal Foodie Friday: At long last, my CSA fruit share has graduated from apricots to peaches … not that I don’t have a freezer full of frozen apricots, but I thought I would shake things up by enjoying some peaches in my smoothies too. And I have to admit, I think I like peaches even better!
This is a simple smoothie recipe that uses vanilla hemp milk and vanilla hemp protein for that little something extra in the flavor and health departments. I was going for a balanced smoothie (some added protein and healthy Omega fats) with optimal taste, not a protein shake, which is why I opted to use a modest amount of hemp protein powder … but feel free to up it if you so desire.
I’m definitely liking hemp protein powders better than the other options, the only bummer is the green tinge takes away that beautiful peachy hue. But, I guess I will have to warm up to green as a lovely beverage color since the flavor is still wonderful …
Oh, and for those of you worried about the hemp “grit,” I have had good luck with Manitoba Harvest products. The HempPro 70 is the smoothest (nice powder actually), but these flavored varieties blend in nicely with a good 30 second or more whiz in the blender. No complaints here! In fact, my husband says he greatly prefers it to rice protein powder.
Special Diet Notes: Vanilla-Hemp Peach Smoothie
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, nut-free, peanut-free, gluten-free, soy-free, vegan, plant-based, and vegetarian.
- 5 Ounces Frozen Peaches (1 overflowing cup)
- ¾ to 1 Cup Vanilla Hemp Milk (I used Vanilla Hemp Bliss)
- ⅛ to ¼ Teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
- 1 Date or Stevia to taste (can sub you favorite sweetener to taste)
- 1 Tablespoon Vanilla Hemp Protein Powder (optional - I used Manitoba Harvest Organic Vanilla Hemp Protein)
- Add all ingredients, starting with ¾ cup hemp milk to your blender.
- Pulse it several times first, and then blend until smooth.
- Add in additional hemp milk to your desired consistency.