In most parts of the country, barbecue season has arrived (though I know many of you are cooking on the deck through snow season!). And it helps to have a flavorful meatless main on the menu for light nights or when vegetarian or vegan guests are expected. Enter this balsamic grilled tofu.
This recipe with photo for balsamic grilled tofu was shared with us by soyfoods.org.
Seasoned with a quick marinade, this grilled tofu recipe comes together quickly and is accompanied by a complimentary spicy mayo. For gluten-free or sneaky veggie needs, it’s also served over cauliflower “rice”, but you can swap in traditional cooked rice if preferred. Also note that the cauliflower is served raw. We prefer cooked cauli-rice. To cook, steam the cauliflower prior to mincing. Beyond cauliflower rice bowls, this grilled tofu with the sriracha mayo is a great options for kabobs, salads or sandwiches!
Though some people have concerns about soy, it’s important to note that the negative studies are focused on soy protein isolate, not whole soy or fermented soy. For this balsamic grilled tofu, choose an organic product (for non-GMO) that’s made simply with whole soybeans. House Foods has a few great options.
Special Diet Notes: Balsamic Grilled Tofu with Cilantro Cauliflower Rice
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, optionally egg-free, gluten-free, grain-free, nut-free, peanut-free, optionally vegan / plant-based, and vegetarian.
- 1 package firm or extra-firm tofu, drained and pressed well
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt, to taste
- Black pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise or vegan mayo
- ½ teaspoon lime juice
- ½ teaspoon sriracha sauce
- ¼ teaspoon minced garlic or garlic paste
- 1 medium head of cauliflower, grated or minced in a food processor
- 1 bunch cilantro, roughly chopped
- 1 avocado, sliced
- Slice the tofu into ½-inch thick slices.
- In a bowl, whisk together the vinegar, olive oil, salt and pepper, to taste. Pour over the tofu and marinate for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, whisk together all ingredients for the Sriracha Mayo in a separate bowl.
- Preheat your grill.
- Grill the marinated tofu for 3 minutes per side.
- In a large bowl, combine the cauliflower and cilantro. Divide the mixture into four serving bowls. Top each with grilled tofu and sliced avocado. Serve with the Sriracha Mayo.