This breakfast-worthy banana blueberry smoothie recipe has been one of our go-to morning meals for years. It’s loaded with nutritious ingredients, but still tastes sweet and delicious. Tony loves how “sneaky” it is, and has shared the recipe with just about every friend and family member.
The Ultimate Banana Blueberry Smoothie for a Healthy Breakfast Treat
This banana blueberry smoothie is adapted from my Wild Blue Smoothie recipe in Go Dairy Free: The Ultimate Guide and Cookbook. Here are a few quick notes and tips about this recipe:
Go Green – Don’t worry, you won’t taste or see the spinach! Spinach is a great beginner green for smoothies. It provides extra vitamins and minerals, but it’s the most tender and mildly-flavored green. You wont detect it beneath the bold fruit flavors and the purple hue of the dark berries masks the green color.
Start Slow – The reason I add half the milk beverage first is to ensure the spinach fully blends in. If you add too much liquid, the leaves tend to just spin around – even with some high power blenders! But a thicker base allows even wimpy blenders to pulverize those greens.
Choose Your Consistency – As is, this is a drinkable smoothie. I give the option to add ice for a thicker blend, like the one pictured. If you want a really thick shake, you can use a frozen banana. But you might need to add a little more liquid.
Sweeten Only as Needed – The sweetness of this banana blueberry smoothie will depend on the sweetness of your fruit. Usually, I’m able to omit the sweetener or add just a small pinch of pure stevia extract. I just recommend that you add the sweetener last to avoid adding more than you need. Sometimes it’s surprisingly sweet as is!
Special Diet Notes: Berry Banana Breakfast Smoothie
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, grain-free, optionally nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, vegan, plant-based, paleo-friendly, and vegetarian
- 1 very ripe banana, broken into chunks
- 1 cup frozen blueberries
- ½ to 1 cup unsweetened plain or vanilla dairy-free milk beverage
- ½ cup fresh or frozen baby spinach leaves (optional, but do try!)
- 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed
- ¼ to ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon, to taste (optional)
- ½ cup ice (optional)
- Honey, agave nectar, or stevia, to taste (optional)
- Put the banana, frozen blueberries, ½ cup milk beverage, spinach, seed meal or seeds, and cinnamon (if using) in your blender. Blend until smooth, about 1 minute.
- For a thinner smoothie, blend in up to ½ cup more milk beverage. For a frostier treat, blend in the ice.
- Taste test and blend in sweetener, if desired.
- Pour into 1 or 2 glasses to serve immediately.
This recipe is adapted from my flagship book, Go Dairy Free: The Ultimate Guide and Cookbook.