It’s funny that I don’t see more recipes like this. Granola bars that are actually made with granola! This is a great way to use up a box or batch, or simply to enjoy a different snack. We originally posted this recipe for Cherry Almond Granola Bars in 2007. It was shared with us by a site that I wrote for called Kids Cuisine. However, it originated from a publication called 7 days, 7 ways by the The National Honey Board. I’ve since updated the recipe with more options and easier to follow instructions.
Photo by Wavebreak Media
Special Diet Notes: Cherry Almond Granola Bars
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, optionally gluten-free, peanut-free, soy-free, and vegetarian.
For egg-free granola bars, you might try swapping in a generous 1/3 cup of aquafaba (canned chickpea liquid). We haven’t tested it yet, but this should be a fairly good substitute. Alternatively, 1 to 2 flax or chia eggs might work well. Keep in mind that you are only substituting the whites, which are about 2 tablespoons of liquid each. To make the recipe vegan, too, you can swap agave nectar for the honey.
- ⅓ cup honey
- ¼ cup dairy-free buttery spread or margarine, melted (can possibly sub coconut oil)
- 3 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon almond extract
- 3 cups dairy-free granola
- ½ cup sliced almonds
- ¾ cup dried cherries (optionally coarsely chopped)
- Preheat your oven to 350ºF and line a 9-inch square baking pan with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the honey, buttery spread, egg whites, cinnamon, and almond extract.
- Stir in the granola, almonds, and cherries until well coated.
- Firmly and evenly press the mixture into your prepared pan. If it's too sticky, use a small piece of parchment paper or plastic wrap to press it in.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until lightly browned. Place the pan on a cooling rack and let cool completely.
- Lift the mixture out using the parchment paper and place it on a cutting board. Cut into thirds one way, and fourths the other way to make 12 bars.
Key Pantry Supplies: Cherry Almond Granola Bars