Despite the misleading name, the classic chocolate egg cream formula has never contained eggs nor cream! Born in New York fountain shops in the late 1800’s, it relied on whole milk for creaminess, seltzer for a bit of fizz, and chocolate syrup to achieve that beloved sweet flavor. So it’s not a big stretch to concoct a vegan version. But we took it one step further, and made this chocolate egg cream recipe allergy-friendly!
This dairy-free chocolate egg cream uses Cocoa Vanilla perfectlyfree bites for an instant cool and creamy finish, and an extra infusion of sweet chocolate and vanilla. The whole fizzy beverage takes just 5 minutes to make, and is so wonderfully indulgent.
It’s an amazing dessert and refreshment on warm weather days. But we also love the “egg cream” theme for Easter. Or you can swap in the Mint Chocolate perfectlyfree bites and garnish with a mint leaf for a special, alcohol-free St. Patrick’s Day beverage.
Perfectlyfree non-dairy bites are rich scoops of dairy-free ice cream wrapped with real flavors. They’re plant-based, vegan certified, and free of the top 8 allergens (but contain coconut). They are also made without artificial preservatives, flavors, or colors. And each fulfilling perfectlyfree bite contains just 30 calories, 1 gram of fat, and about 3 grams of sugar!
This post is sponsored by perfectlyfree, but as always, we only work with products that we love! The recipe and photos are by Hannah Kaminsky, a Go Dairy Free team member, professional photographer, and vegan cookbook author.
Special Diet Notes: Chocolate Egg Cream
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, vegan, vegetarian, and top food allergy-friendly.
- 8 perfectlyfree cocoa vanilla non-dairy bites
- ½ cup vanilla dairy-free milk beverage (your choice of type)
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon agave nectar
- 1 cup seltzer water
- Add the cocoa vanilla bites, milk beverage, cocoa powder, and agave to your blender. Puree until completely smooth. Pause to scrape down the sides of the container if needed to get a silky, creamy texture.
- Pour the chocolate cream into either one large or two medium glasses. Slowly pour the seltzer on top, dividing it equally between the glasses if making two servings. Stir until the cream is fully incorporated and the drink is frothy.
- Sip and savor your creamy soda immediately!