This classic dairy-free tzatziki uses cucumbers, garlic, lemon juice, dill and non-dairy yogurt for a simple plant-based condiment that goes well with falafel, veggies, or even falafel burgers. A touch of olive oil is added for richness flavor, and to help the flavors meld.
Classic Dairy-Free Tzatziki with Dill is a Fresh Mediterranean Accompaniment
Tzatziki is a Mediterranean dip or spread that’s usually made with dairy yogurt. But the dairy-free blend below is equally delicious and pairs well with both plant-based and omnivorous meals.
In addition to falafels, you can enjoy this classic dairy-free tzatziki with grilled potato kabobs,vegan balsamic vegetable skewers, Mediterranean steak skewers, or vegan garlicky Greek chickpeas with spinach. It’s a fresh contrast to grilled or warm meals. You can also serve it simply as a dip with crudité and pita wedges.
Special Diet Notes & Options: Classic Dairy-Free Tzatziki
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, nut-free, peanut-free, optionally soy-free, vegan, and vegetarian. Just be sure to select the dairy-free yogurt that meets your dietary needs. We like this dairy-free tzatziki made with unsweetened plain coconut milk yogurt.
- 1 English cucumber, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups plain or unsweetened dairy-free yogurt
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice (can sub lime juice for a different twist)
- 1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon dried dill or 1 tablespoon fresh dill
- Lemon pepper, to taste
- Sprinkle cucumber with salt and let drain for 30 minutes. Squeeze out excess moisture.
- Whisk the cucumber and remaining ingredients in a medium bowl, adding lemon pepper to taste.
- Refrigerate overnight.