This easy, creamy soup was submitted to us by a reader who chose to remain anonymous. It’s a simple recipe that’s wholesome and easy to prepare for a delicious dose of heart-healthy comfort food. Pair it with sourdough or dairy-free, whole-grain bread for a fulfilling cold-weather meal.
Special Diet Notes: Healthy Creamy Celery Soup
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, grain-free, nut-free, peanut-free, vegan, plant-based, vegetarian, and top food allergy-friendly.
- 2 tablespoon olive oil + additional for serving
- 16 stems celery, trimmed and chopped
- 3 large leeks, peeled, trimmed and chopped
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and chopped into ¾-inch cubes
- 4 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- Pinch black pepper
- Salt, to taste (optional)
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over a medium heat. Add the celery, leeks, onion, and garlic. Stir and reduce the heat to low. Cover and allow the vegetables to “sweat” for 3 minutes.
- Add the potatoes and vegetable stock and bring to the soup to a boil. Reduce the heat to low. Stir in the nutmeg, ginger, and black pepper. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes, or until the potatoes are cooked through.
- Remove the soup from the heat and let cool for 10 minutes.
- Blend the soup, in batches, until smooth.
- Gently reheat the soup, if needed. Season with salt, if desired.
- Ladle into bowls and optionally top with a light drizzle of olive oil.