Take that old-school pie up a notch with a smooth and rich chocolate layer. This luxurious chocolate pecan pie has a smooth chocolate “black-bottom” layer topped with an a luxurious pecan filling. Healthy it is not, but holiday-worthy it is.
McCormick originally shared this chocolate pecan pie recipe and photo with us. We have added notes to keep it dairy free.
Special Diet Notes & Options: Chocolate Pecan Pie
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, optionally gluten-free, peanut-free, soy-free, and vegetarian.
This dairy-free chocolate pecan pie recipe does use eggs. For those of you who confuse eggs with dairy, you’re not alone. See this post: Are Eggs Dairy? For an egg-free option, try this Vegan Pecan Pie Recipe or see my dairy-free pie round-up. The round-up includes notes on which pies are egg-free, vegan, gluten-free, and more.
- 1 (9-inch) deep-dish dairy-free pie shell (gluten free, if needed)
- 1 cup dairy-free semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened dairy-free milk beverage
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup dark corn syrup
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons dairy-free buttery spread or coconut oil, melted
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground allspice
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1½ cups pecan halves
- Preheat your oven to 425°F.
- Bake the pie shell for 7 minutes.
- Remove the pie crust from the oven, and reduce the oven temperature to 325°F.
- Microwave the chocolate chips and milk beverage in a microwave-safe bowl on HIGH for 60 seconds, and whisk until smooth. If not fully melted, heat in 15 second intervals and whisk. Do not overheat the chocolate!
- Pour the melted chocolate evenly over the pie crust.
- Put the eggs in a large mixing bowl and beat with a hand mixer to combine. Add the corn syrup, sugar, buttery spread or oil, vanilla, cinnamon, allspice, and salt and beat with a hand mixer on low until smooth. Foid in the pecan halves.
- Slowly pour the pecan mixture over the chocolate layer.
- Place a ring of foil over the crust edge to prevent over-browning.
- Bake for 55 to 60 minutes or until the filling is puffed and center is still soft enough to move when shaken gently.
- Let the pie cool completely on a wire rack before slicing.