This peanut butter apple crumble pie was a winner in the Southern Peanut Growers “PB My Way” regional recipe contest.
Piled high with autumn apples and topped with a peanut buttery crumble, this dessert makes a great after-school treat.
Special Diet Notes & Options: Peanut Butter Apple Crumble Pie
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, soy-free, tree nut-free, vegan, and vegetarian. Just use caution when selecting your pie crust.
For a peanut-free peanut butter apple crumble pie, substitute sunflower seed butter or pea butter for the peanut butter.
- Prepared dairy-free pie crust
- Chopped peanuts (optional)
- 7 apples, peeled cored and sliced
- ⅔ cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- ¾ cup rolled oats
- ¼ cup dairy-free margarine
- ¼ cup peanut butter
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- Bake the pie crust as instructed by the recipe or package.
- Set your oven temperature to 350ºF.
- In a large bowl, thoroughly stir together all of the filling ingredients. Spoon the apple mixture into the baked crust.
- Using your hands, a pastry blender or fork, mix all of the crumble ingredients in a medium bowl, until pea-sized pieces form.
- Sprinkle the crumble over the apples. Don’t worry if it appears tall; the apples will cook down and the pie will be perfectly proportioned.
- Cover the pie crust edges with foil. Bake in your preheated oven for 40–50 minutes, removing the foil in the last 15 minutes.
- Garnish with chopped peanuts, if desired.