At the small and cozy NYC eatery Egg Shop, Nick Korbee assumes the role of both Executive Chef and Beverage Director. In addition to the regular drinks menu, he executes a small list of inventive, seasonal cocktails. And from December 1 to New Year’s Day, Chef Nick will be serving two creative twists on familiar classics, including this Downward Facing Dairy-Free Eggnog.
This dairy-free eggnog is enriched with coconut milk and infused with Indian spices. Chef Nick describes this beverage as “a Coquito that goes to a yoga retreat in India instead of celebrating Christmas with the family kind-of-drink.” The other big flavor beverage he’ll be pouring is a refreshing Fireside Horchata. It’s a Rosemary and Nutmeg Horchata shaken with Del Maguey Mezcal, Orgeat, and fresh pineapple juice and topped with a Ron Zacapa.
Wow, I know where I’m going on my first big trip to New York! In the meantime, we’ll enjoy whipping up Chef Nick’s uniquely festive dairy-free eggnog. He has kindly shared not just the photo, but also the recipe below.
Special Diet Notes: Downward Facing Dairy-Free Eggnog
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, gluten-free, grain-free, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, and vegetarian.
- 3 10-ounce cans full-fat coconut milk (not coconut milk beverage)
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ cup pine syrup (see note below) or agave nectar
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 2 pieces star anise
- 1 tablespoon whole cloves
- 6 organic egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- Bring the coconut milk to a simmer with the sugar and whole spices. Reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Removed from the heat and allow to steep for 15 minutes. Strain out the whole spices.
- Whisk the egg yolks in a bowl. Add half of the strained coconut mixture to the egg yolks and stir until evenly combined. Stir in the ground spices until fully incorporated.
- Add this mixture back into the remaining coconut mixture. Heat to 180ºF over low heat, stirring constantly.
- Stir in the pine syrup or agave nectar. Cool completely then chill in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
- Stir the white rum and Coconog together. Pour dirty in a Collins glass and float dark rum.
- Garnish with a cinnamon stick and fresh grated nutmeg.
More Recipes for Getting in the Spirit
Tipsy Hot Apple Pie Cider (vegan, gluten-free & allergy-friendly)
Cranberry Fizz Cocktail (gluten-free, nut-free & soy-free)
Wild Blueberry Egg Nog (vegan optional, gluten-free & allergy-friendly)