In honor of Mickey Mouse’s 90th anniversary and National Salad Month, the chefs at Dole created a Steamboat Willie Green Apple Waldorf Salad. I’ve adapted their recipe to be dairy-free, but it’s just as nutritious and delicious.
Green Apple Waldorf Salad that’s Loaded with Healthy Ingredients
This robust, meal-worthy salad is filled with fresh produce. The recipe is also naturally mayo-free and oil-free, but it did use Greek yogurt. I substituted part coconut cream and dairy-free yogurt to get the same rich consistency. The coconut cream also adds prized medium-chain triglycerides (MCTs) to this dish.
If your canned coconut milk or coconut cream doesn’t have a thick, spoonable layer on top (that’s the coconut cream!), then refrigerate the can for a few hours. It should separate and thicken. If it doesn’t, then the product was diluted too much with water, or contains too many additives.
If you have a relatively thick dairy-free yogurt, like Coyo, then you can use 3/4 cup yogurt and omit the coconut cream. Keep in mind that juices from the apples and pineapple will also thin the yogurt.
Kids Can Cook Tips
This is a great main dish salad that you can make with kids. Kids of all ages can measure and stir all of the ingredients together, and even plate it. Adults or older kids with knife skills can chop the fruit, nuts, and herbs.
Once your done eating, you can find some fun kid-friendly activities and printables at dole.com/at-home-resources. They’re great for families spending time together at home.
Special Diet Notes: Green Apple Waldorf Salad
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, grain-free, optionally nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, optionally vegan, and optionally vegetarian.
- ½ cup plain dairy-free yogurt (preferably unsweetened)
- ¼ cup coconut cream
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 16 ounces chopped cooked chicken or 1 (15-ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup chopped green apple
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1 cup red grapes, halved
- 1 cup chopped fresh pineapple
- ½ cup celery, cut into chunks
- 1 tablespoon freshly chopped mint
- 1 (5 ounces) package green salad blend (like Dole 50/50)
- ¼ cup chopped pecans or walnuts (optional)
- In a medium bowl, stir the dairy-free yogurt, coconut cream, and mustard. Stir in the chicken or chickpeas, apples, blueberries, grapes, pineapple, celery, and mint. Toss to evenly coat.
- Put the green salad blend on a serving platter. Spoon the green apple waldorf salad mixture on the salad blend and sprinkle with pecans or walnuts (if using).